Dec 29, 2017

Calipers Box round 2 (post 2/2)

Hinge detail. I messed up a bit with the mortise widths, so I cut shims from scrap walnut and sanded them flat. The hinges for this one also open 180deg per giftee's request (they turned out so nice I'm thinking of modifying mine to open flat too)

brass hinge and wooden shim in carved box insetbrass hinge and wooden shim in carved box inset

Putting finish on the inside. I masked the pockets because I'm putting felt in this box (glue doesn't stick well to polyurethane.) I'm using satin polyurethane because it offers a marginally better protective layer than oil finishes, and it keeps enough of the grain texture to avoid looking awfully glassy.

wooden box with masking tape around pockets

Outlining felt with sharpie. The calipers pocket took two pieces, so I shaved the overlapping section into a taper to remove the bump.

felt pressed into pocket cavities and marked with sharpie

This glue is the best (I originally got it for gluing shoe rubber...) but it has noxious fumes. Ventilate well when using it!

piece of felt prepped with colle de cologne glue

The back of a knife is good for pressing the felt into tight corners. I left the box to dry overnight, then scraped/sanded off excess glue.

felt pressed into pockets with excess trimmed

Putting finish on the back.

box with polyurethane coat

I completed this box in time for Christmas! These photos are taken with a much nicer viewcamera.

closeup view of calipers in box
 photo of calipers in box

2/2 boxes done! Glamour shots in the sunlight.

small and large walnut calipers boxes

lids of small and large calipers boxes

No comments:

Post a Comment